08 May 2009

Humility

Both of them were grubby, hard to understand and may have had a little too much to drink. They were what a lot of people would consider 'typical' aboriginals, and they walked into church several weeks ago.

One of them said hello to me. Thinking back I can't remember his name, although he offered it. I smiled and was very polite, but relieved to move past. As we were singing during praise and worship, I noticed they had sat up the back and I was relieved because it meant that others coming into church that afternoon would be more comfortable to sit closer to the front. I thought it was good of them to stay out of the way. Whether they did it for others comfort or their own, I couldn't say.

James 2:1-4. My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favouritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? (NIV)

I've read this scripture many times before. In fact that is why God could remind me of it, because I knew it fairly well. I had read it in the past thinking I was glad that I did not act that way. And so there I sat embarrassed and ashamed. I only wished God had reminded me of it in time for me to do something about it. I wanted to invite them to sit up the front, even though one of them started belting out a chorus with lots of gusto, but little pitch. It was probably one of the best parts of the service. Afterwards they left before I could show my appreciation for them being there so I'm glad others showed them more kindness than I had. But at least next time I'll be more prepared.

No comments: