27 September 2011

My Granola

I put together my very own granola recipe…I think this would have to be the only recipe I’ve ever made – I used another recipe and chopped and changed until I got it just right…and you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want depending on what nuts you use.
granola
Ingredients:
6 cups rolled oats (just use the cheapest brand you can find)
3 cups nuts (whatever you feel like – you can do 3 cups of walnuts if you’re on a budget)
1 cup seeds (sunflower, sesame etc)
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups shredded coconut
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs Cinnamon (or not, if you don’t like cinnamon)
1 cup veg oil (you could probably use whatever oil you like)
3/4 – 1 cup honey
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
raisins (and/or other dried fruit)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 165 C  (325 F) -  If you have a fan forced oven as I currently do, set it to 135 C.
2. Mix oats, nuts, seeds, wheat germ, coconut, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. In a small pan over medium heat stir the oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla until they are blended.
4. Pour the heated mixture into the nut mixture and stir until well combined.
5a. If you want a crunchier granola (my preference): spread mixture on a cookie sheet with baking paper on it to no more than 1/2 inch thick and bake it in the oven for about 35 min.
5b. If you like a chewier granola: spread mixture thickly on the cookie sheet and bake for about 20 min. (it also helps if you use more honey, but I don’t like my granola that sweet).
6. Remove the granola from the oven and sprinkle over as much or as little dried fruit as you like.  use a fork to mix together on the cookie sheet, then spread out to cool.
7.  Once your granola is cooled store in an airtight container (zip lock freezer bags work as well as anything).

This granola is great for changing to suit your taste, so if you make it and it’s not quite the way you like it - add or subtract different ingredients to get it the way you like…

1 comment:

Joyce Louise said...

Daughter, you have a winner! It is the best!!! I love the changes you made. :)